Counting

Counting
"Counting", collage on board, 2010. The first image in the "Murphys in Griffintown" series.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Sharon Doyle Driedger and Murphy Number Five

Work on "Murphys in Griffintown" is still going strong!  I've completed the fifth piece..."Sleep Tight", a childhood memory of Frances Murphy.  It is a very painterly collage. Very happy with it.  It's been shot professionally (by Derek Cooper) so will upload it here soon.

The works are taking longer than I thought, as each one requires quite a bit of research.  I love research and seeing where it takes me.  The next work will include Brother Norbert once of St. Ann's Parish.  I will place him on the sidewalk, near the corner of Ottawa and McCord.  I can see the top of St. Ann's looming in the sky behind him.  It is the memory of Edward Murphy.

Research is also ongoing for the production of the exhibition.  I am finding it difficult to imagine the work projected on a condo building(perhaps) or a historic building in Griffintown.  I'd like it outside but inside too. The neighbourhood is changing so much!  I can't keep up.

Last month I was pleased to have Sharon Doyle visit my Kingston studio.  Coincidentally, my mother was visiting that day as well.  Sharon is younger than my mother, so it was my mother's younger siblings that Sharon went to school with.  Two St. Ann's Girls School alumni meeting with my work in the background!  I was too excited to take a picture. It meant a great deal to have them meet and to have Sharon see the work thus far.  She was integral to the development of the idea of the exhibition!  I sensed her wealth of knowledge of the Griffintown area as we spoke.

My space-Nelson Street Studio
Five Murphys collages and others as well. 
Check out  her intriguing book:  
"An Irish Heart" How a Small Immigrant Community Shaped Canada 
by Sharon Doyle Driedger.  
It's on my Christmas list! 


1 comment:

  1. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Appartement à louer griffintown

    ReplyDelete